Legit Apps to Make Money
About 36% of U.S. workers are involved in the gig economy, Legit Apps to Make Money and money-making apps have played a significant role in breaking down barriers that once kept people inside the office. Through free apps, you can earn income to pay off debt, supplement income, fund a hobby, and even support yourself full time. The best money-making apps allow you to work on your own time through a simple sign-up process while receiving fast and easy payment.
- Best Mobile Games Android
- Free 5 Best Data Recovery Software in 2022
- How to Make Money Online for Free
We researched more than a dozen money-making apps to find the best options based on factors like earning potential, how quickly you can receive payment, and app store ratings. This roundup will help you choose the best money-making app based on your goals, how you want to earn, and the time you’re willing to invest.
The Best Money-Making Apps for 2022
Best Overall: Upwork
Best for Cashback: Rakuten
Best for Surveys: Survey Junkie
Best for Car Owners: Uber
Best for Selling Old Goods: OfferUp
Best Overall Upwork
Upwork’s simplicity, streamlined communication and potential for freelancers to earn more over time make it the best money-making app, whether you’re picking up a side hustle or building a full-time freelance business.
- Simple profile set-up to find work in over 1,600 skills
- Attract new clients based on reviews, total earnings, and score
- Pursue ongoing or one-off projects by applying directly or receiving an invitation
- Payment protection ensures payment for successful work
- Service fee between 5% and 20%, depending on total earnings per client
- Payment is delivered 10 days after billing period ends
- Clients can easily shop for and select lower rates
As a freelance marketplace driving the gig economy, Upwork is the best money-making app for skilled workers to connect with clients, while managing projects in one place. For its broad range of available skill categories, profile-building features and limitless earning potential, Upwork wins best overall.
Regardless of your previous experience, Upwork makes it simple and easy to create a profile and apply for new gigs. Freelancers can find opportunities in over 1,600 skills spanning digital marketing, coding, translation, admin work, and much more. If you can do it on a computer, you can do it on Upwork.
Through Upwork, you can apply for one-off opportunities or find ongoing work with clients. New reviews and a rising Job Success Score will make you a more attractive candidate for future opportunities. Qualified freelancers may receive invitations for exclusive opportunities.
Best for Cashback Rakuten
Offering numerous cashback options for online and in-store purchases, Rakuten delivers a seamless process with rewarding sign-up and referral incentives.
- Up to 40% cashback on purchases at thousands of qualifying retailers
- $10 welcome bonus for spending $25
- $30 bonus for referring new users who spend at least $30
- Browser extension offers additional perks and features
- Cashback rates as low as 1%
- Users have reported app freezing issues
- Must accrue $5 in cashback to redeem
- Payouts occur every three months
Previously known as Ebates, Rakuten is the top money-making app for cashback, offering deals across numerous retailers along with inviting sign-up and referral incentives. Although you have to spend money to make money, the app lets you get a little cash back for purchases you’d be making anyway.
After registering, users can browse cashback offers at thousands of retailers, including Target, Best Buy, and Kohl’s. To receive cashback, simply click into a retailer from the app or website and place an order. You can also receive cashback for in-store purchases by selecting the offer in the app and linking your card prior to purchasing. However, you can’t receive cashback without first taking these steps.
Best Money Earning App
Cashback rates vary by retailer, ranging from 1% to 40%. You can browse available cashback deals by store, brand, and category directly through the app.
Legit Apps to Make Money
New users can qualify for a $10 welcome bonus after spending $25. You can also receive a $30 referral bonus for introducing new users who spend $30.
Users receive payment through PayPal or a check every three months. To qualify for a payout, you must accrue at least $5 in cashback.
Best for Surveys Survey Junkie
Survey Junkie has surveys that take 15 minutes or less to complete based on demographic questions, while offering instant payment via gift cards or PayPal.
- Make money by completing relevant surveys for marketing and research companies
- Also offers users the option to make money by sharing browsing data
- Submits data anonymously to protect your identity
- Redeem points for cash via PayPal or online gift cards
- Pre-survey identity confirmation can become annoying
- May receive invitations to expired surveys
- Some surveys include repetitive questions to confirm validity
- Partially completed surveys may be terminated if you don’t meet desired criteria
Partnering with brands and market research companies, Survey Junkie offers users the opportunity to complete surveys in exchange for points, which can be instantly redeemed for gift cards or payment via PayPal. For this reason, Survey Junkie wins as the best money-making app for surveys.
The sign-up process is simple. You create a profile by answering questions, allowing Survey Junkie to offer relevant surveys. Each survey awards a certain number of points, which can be exchanged for cash. One hundred points will earn you $1, whether you cash out with gift cards or choose payment via PayPal. At minimum, you need 500 points (or $5) to cash out.
Surveys take, on average, 15 minutes to complete. All surveys are optional. You can find available surveys in the dashboard, though some listed may no longer be active.